Sign in or
Report-out & Wrap-up - 3:30pm
Key Insights and Aha Moments:
- Green certification
- Not reinventing the wheel, finding, capturing best ideas to work with them
- Little things influence behaviors and subsequently big decisions
- Debate on company perspective: being economical or being different
- Social norms, peer pressure, community validation --> affect behavior more than education
- Stealth green is a better color than green green. Focus on the economic benefits or activities individually without emphasizing green could help bring about change.
- Green ideas often came from other departments then shared throughout organization.
- Government's role in defining and certifying green: how to ensure that govt activities/measures are helping sustainability movement rather than impeding progress.
- Cooperators thrive in the long-term, survival of the fittest among cooperators.
- Would much rather listen to anyone in this room than a guru.
- The not so good guys - "heros" - the ones we need to win
- Dave Witzel is looking for clues to systems to change things - use tools to include your input/insights
Conversations to Continue:
- Conversation of benchmarks, standards, certifications, etc
- How to democratize green - make it affordable and accessible
- Conflict between unsustainable nature of consumption and how to influence corporate practice
- Where do you set the bar to reach mainstream with high standards
- Sustainable consumption: what does that look like? what will it take to consumer fewer resources? Open offer for breakfast club discussions.
- Electricity reduction vs paper reduction
- How to accelerate the spread of the best ideas - we need them to outrun the problems.
- Include more people in future unconferences who aren't green, target the "not so good" guys to attend
- Food choices - no processed foods, wasteful packaging, more veggie/vegan foods
- More strategic networking
- More diversity of sectors/participants/classes/races, etc
- More lead time to think about the topics discussed beforehand to help propose better topics
- Agenda generation based on people's feedback was refreshing and successful
- Use EPA's public comment list for invitees to increase diversity
- Push the idea of creating actionable ideas, perhaps make part of each section
- Perhaps come up with critical starting point ideas, and build upon in successive sessions
- What's the follow up? Provide setup for folks who want to form working groups around specific topics
- Share contact information
- Build in more time to chill - think about having lunch be off limits in the future
- Encouraging more specific actionable items for agenda in the future
- Integrating sustainability into aspects of our personal lives
- Invite a few scientists to bring technical expertise
Finally: Celebration! Gratitude! Appreciation!
- Thanks to Michael for sharing about Goodness500
- Thanks to Odin for a great job
Latest page update: made by edf_innovex
, Apr 22 2010, 9:57 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Moved from: Solutions Labs 2010
No content added or deleted.
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page