Sign in or
DC-4-Social Media for Sustainability - Situation Room
Host: Tom Dawkins, Ashoka Changemakers
Tom presented Changemakers.org,, a newly relaunched network for Ashoka Fellows.
Some big ideas:
* Increasingly innovation is distributed. Not one company paying its chemists to do innovation just for the company, for example, but hundreds of thousands of chemists around the world conducting similar research.
-In the past, a common practice in the world of science was this: Isolated teams working on same problems at same time.
- For the social sector it's often the same: Diffuse innovators working on similar problems at same time, not helping each other.
- The problem with this approach: It's slower to find solutions and take them to scale is being hindered.
* Getting new communities off the ground, from scratch is tough:
Make sure you really need to launch a new community. It's easiest and often most effective to tap into existing online communities.
What does it take to have a strong social network:
* An issue to consider: Closed networks versus open spaces: Need to think carefully about this. Is there a need to have a closed network?
* Authenticity: An essential element of a healthy social network.
* Social networks require management: Must have a community manager.
- Must work hard to get it going, before it will take on its own life.+ Jimmy Wales says "it takes 7 devoted people to start a network."
Some ideas for growing and nurturing a network:
Challenges: prize money
* Technology hurdles
* "Another platform to manage":
* From virtual to real: How to make the transition
Live Green: Off-line events are incredibly popularBuilding your tribe:
Networks to tap: Green Drinks, Live Green,
Competition among social networks
Building blog following.
Example: Ashoka staff.
Must add value: can't just add to the noise.
Need a clear benefit to benefiting.
Compete versus collaborate issue in social media
Research is showing that collaborate wins out in social media
Business have to be careful with how they use social networks.
SlocEnt Chat on Twitter: 1st Wed
4Change: 2nd Thurs each month
Social media for social change.
Latest page update: made by edf_innovex
, Apr 22 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Moved from: Solutions Labs 2010
No content added or deleted.
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page